Tuesday, July 8, 2014

OPI Neons Collection - Summer 2014

Hi, you guys! Hope you're in the midst of a great week! :) I had a long holiday weekend, which went by way too fast as usual, and I made the mistake of doing too much. So I came out of it really exhausted and just spent yesterday in a daze trying to recover and mentally get back to work. :P


Today, I've got the new Neons by OPI Collection to share with you. This set of six bright shades are the first full-size neons that OPI is adding to its permanent collection. (About time, yep!) If you guys know me, you know I love neons, so you can imagine my sheer excitement here. Just a quick note: a white base was released with this collection, but all the swatches below are without it (more on that below). But enough jibber jabber... here are the colors! :D


Hotter Than You Pink
Hotter Than You Pink is hot pink with tons of strong blue shimmers. This is such a gorgeous eye-catching pink and one of my favorites from the collection. I used three coats for the swatches.

Down to the Core-al
Down to the Core-al is a bright neon coral with tons of shimmers that flash a little pink depending on the lighting. It's quite bright on the nails, more so that you might think from looking at the bottle. This is another favorite of mine from the collection. Corals have a way of looking orange on me, so one of the reasons I love this color is that it retains its pinkish tint on me. I used three coats for the swatches.

Life Gave Me Lemons
Life Gave Me Lemons is a bright greenish yellow with a creme finish. This is another very bright shade; it reminds me of a highlighter. It's a little streaky with its first coat, but builds up coverage nicely and looks perfect by three coats, which is what I have in the swatches.

You Are So Outta Lime!
You Are So Outta Lime! is a bright lime green with a creme finish. It's not as neon as some of the other colors in the collection, though still very bright. This is another favorite of mine from the collection! I think this is one of those greens that's wonderfully balanced and will look good on most skintones. I used three coats for the swatches.

Juice Bar Hopping
Juice Bar Hopping is an intense and bright orange with a creme/jelly finish. This is a very bright shade under natural lighting, quite eye-searing. It's a little sheer on the first coat due to its slightly jelly-ness, but it builds up nicely and is opaque in three coats.

Push & Pur-pull
Push & Pur-pull is grape purple with a creme/jelly finish. To me, this doesn't look particularly bright, and is the least bright of the shades in this collection. Its jelly-ness is quite prominent, so it looks squishy on the nails. I used three coats for the swatches.

As is typical of polishes with neon pigment, all six of these dry to some degree to a satiny/matte finish, so you'll need to top coat for glossy shine. While the formulas are all easy to work with, some of these do dry a little faster than normal due to the neon pigment, so work fast and don't go over the same area too many times or you risk getting uneven results.

Overall, this is a fun and colorful collection, and I'm thrilled with it. It's great to finally see OPI put out full-sized neons this summer instead of the minis they've done in prior years. My favorite thing about this collection is that most of these colors (with the exception of maybe Push & Pur-pull) look great and sufficiently bright without needing a white base first. I can never get the colors to line up with the white base near the cuticles, and it would drive me crazy to see the white peek out from under the color, so I'm glad that's not necessary with these.

I'm pretty much in love with the whole collection, but if I had to pick favorites, I would go with Hotter Than You Pink and Down to the Core-al for their neon shimmery goodness, and You Are So Outta Lime! for being an amazing shade of green.

What do you think of this collection? Which colors are your favorites and will be joining your stash? And do you usually wear neons with a white base, or do you skip it like me and hope for the best?

You can find the Neons by OPI shades at your local nail salons and beauty stores such as Ulta and Dillard's for a retail price of $9 for each 0.5 fl oz bottle.

** This post contains product(s) provided for honest consideration.

36 comments:

  1. I wouldn't consider some of these to be true neons but there bright and nice. Great swatches and review on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Yep, they aren't as in-your-face as neons can be, but I love that that they are quite bright for the most part and there are a few unique shades in here. :)

      Delete
  2. I can't say I dislike a single one of them. :D I'm so psyched for summer so I can bust out the neon polishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe it's one of the reasons I look forward to summer, so that I can wear neons without being obnoxious! :)

      Delete
  3. I must admit I'm not a fan of these. I like how those bright greens and that orange look on you, but the colours themselves are not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm sorry you're not a fan of the colors! I love anything bright or neon, but it's probably not for everyone. ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh I saw these just the other day at our drugstore and but wanted to wait for swatches before I buy them xD So thanks for the swatches!
    Great to hear that they work perfectly fine without a white base underneath. I don't like to use a white base for my neons too, mostly I skip it and wear them as they are.
    Hotter than you Pink and Down the Core-al are very pretty colors but I don't like the shimmer too much :/ But that's because I always prefer creme finish over everything else xD You are so outta lime would be my favorite here.
    Too bad OPI is so expensive in Germany ($22 here -.- Ugh!) but maybe I can get them online for cheaper ^.~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the swatches to be helpful. :) I'm naturally drawn towards anything with shimmers, so the pink and coral were totally for me. But if you like cremes better, the green one is definitely stunning and unique. Owww on the price though. It sucks that OPI is so expensive where you are. Hope you have good luck finding a cheaper price or a sale. <3

      Delete
  5. I have Hotter Than You Pink, but haven't swatched it yet - but I love the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it's a totally gorgeous hot pink (and I know we both love those)! Looking forward to seeing it on you, my dear! <3

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear these are going to be added to the core line, as the displays I've come across are usually quite picked over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Ulta today and only saw the minis left, so I guess this collection has been really popular. I'm happy to hear it's going to be in the permanent collection too. That means I don't have to worry about hoarding my favs. ;)

      Delete
  7. Life gave me lemons looks a lot like 'did it on em' in the Nicki Minaj collection. I love neons for summer :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the one from the Nicki Minaj Collection is a little more chartreuse, but I don't have it for a side-by-side. Gosh, I love neons too! I wear them all year, to be honest, but I do feel a little obnoxious with them when it's not summer (not that it stops me hehe).

      Delete
  8. So, I saw the Life Gave Me Lemons and I was literally like 'Omg, I so need this shade' ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yun - gorgeous post, great pictures and very helpful review!!! I haven't seen them round here yet but I am sure they're due in the next couple of days. My favorites are the Coral and the Green (please forgive me if I don't go into repeating the names). I never use a white base for one because I have the same issue as you and for the other: I think neons loose depth when applied over white <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I'm glad you found this useful. :) Haha no worries on the names. OPI does have some awful (in length and pun-ness) names lol. I'm loving the coral and green myself... I wore each for a few days and couldn't stop staring at my nails. Good point on neons losing some depth over whites... I've noticed that too. It's another reason why I'm particularly happy these colors (definitely the coral and green) look fantastic without a white base.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous swatches Yun! I'm with you....I love that OPI released these as full sized bottles this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Yep, now I don't have to hoard my favs from the collection lol. ;)

      Delete
  11. I love neons and these looks so fun. I love You Are So Outta Lime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green's one of my favs too... so flattering and fun! I'm glad you like these! :D

      Delete
  12. What a great looking collection!
    I did intend to buy a couple of them, but I ended up buying most of Color Club's neon collection instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks, I'm glad you like the colors! :) Summer's a great time because there are so many awesome bright/neon shades out there. :D

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! It's such a flattering green. :)

      Delete
  14. I really love Hotter than you Pink (looove the blue shimmer!) and You Are So Outta Lime! I'm also really glad these are joining the core line since I'm not sure whether I should buy them or not. I have a bunch of untried Color Club neons that look similar in the bottle at least so I want to try them on before buying these but I just haven't got around to swatching them yet!

    I've never used white base under my neons either although sometimes I wish I had! I have some that are streaky nightmares... I agree it would be annoying to get the white layer to match up with your neon polish. I also think any unevenness in the polish around the cuticle would be more obvious over a white base. Plus it's just more work and more time... I almost always read reviews before buying polish now... if any polish needs more than 3 coats or white base I won't buy it. I'm glad to hear these worked for you at 3 coats without white base :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink and the green ones are really stunning! :D I'm so glad these worked out at 3 coats & no white base too. I'm with you... I have a limit as to how many layers I'm willing to do, and it's just too much to expect anyone to do base coat + 2 white coats + 3 colored coats + top coat haha. Yay for these joining the permanent collection because that means I don't have to hoard my favs haha. There are so many great collections coming out this summer. I haven't seen the Color Club neons in person yet, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes out. :)

      Delete
  15. These look great! And they look really good without the white base! I picked these up so will get around to trying them! Hehe!

    Hotter Than You Pink looks amazing :-) Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like them. The pink's totally gorgeous--those shimmers! I look forward to seeing them on you. :)

      Delete
  16. Generally I'm not a fan of oranges, but I love Juice Bar Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lime, Teal, Turquoise stole my heart long time ago :-) And so that lime color... wow! Pretty collection, neons are lovely for the summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love neons for the summer too! It's almost all I've been wearing for a few weeks now. I'm so glad you like the lime. It's really stunning, one of my favorites for this summer. :)

      Delete
  18. Hotter Than You Pink is cute and girly. Down To the... is lovely. The Lime and Lemons are refreshing, Juice Bar and Purr-pull are sexy. I like OPI very much. They last well on my nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe all those colors are awesome, and I find myself reaching for them often. :) They last really well on me too, especially paired with the OPI base and top coats.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...